In 1943 the War Office needed the village of Imber on Salisbury Plain for military training. People living there were given 47 days to move away.
The village of Cosmeston was abandoned in the fourteenth century, possibly as a result of the Black Death. Parts of it have been reconstructed and opened to the public.
Littlecote and Lillingstone Dayrell were medieval villages in Buckinghamshire. Their last tenants were evicted around 1500 so that the landlord could enclose the area for sheep pasture.
The Black Death swept through Britain between 1348 and 1350. Tilgarsley and Tusmore were villages in Oxfordshire that are known to have been wiped out by it.
People lived at Y Graig in Monmouthshire in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. They were forced to leave after conflict with the landowners over rent.
Woodend was a hamlet very close to the west bank of the Severn Estuary. In the eighteenth century it was washed away by high tides and storms.
Hallsands was a small village on the coast of South Devon, washed away by the sea between 1903 and 1917. Its sea defences had been weakened as a result of offshore dredging of shingle.
Central Silvertown, close to the Royal docks in east London, was demolished by bombing in 1940 and 1941.
Porth y Nant was a village associated with a quarry on the coast of north west Wales. After the quarry closed early in World War II the village was gradually abandoned.
Temperance Town was a district close to the centre of Cardiff, built in the 1860s to promote abstinence from alcohol. It was demolished in 1937 to improve the approach to the railway station and create space for a bus station.