Over the following years former residents and curious visitors would travel to Imber
from time to time. Sometimes they went with official permission, sometimes without
it. Group visits were made in 1955 and 1956, when the groups made a point of taking
down the fencing around St Giles church and going into the church. According to a
report in the Wiltshire News “In the churchyard grey heads of men and women bent
over untidy graves, wrinkled hands deftly arranged flowers and tore away weeds and
grass. One could sense their full hearts.”
Meanwhile the Ministry of Defence was taking steps to make public access to Imber
more difficult. A temporary order restricting the use of public rights of way on
safety grounds had been in force since 1951. From 1955 requests were made to the
Ministry of Transport to make the restrictions permanent. However, at the end of
1960 the powers of the Ministry of Defence appeared to be much weakened when the
Defence of the Realm Act expired. DORA had been used to sanction much of the action
that had been taken to occupy Salisbury Plain and exclude the public from it.
In January 1961 the Amesbury Rural District Council expressed strong objections to
the intention to close public rights of way around Imber. The opposition was led
by one particular councillor, Austin Underwood, who demanded that a public inquiry
should be held before any closure decision could be made. In order to assert the
rights of the public to enter Imber he organised a procession from Gore Cross to
Imber on Sunday 22 January.
The rally attracted enormous support. According to Rex Sawyer about 350 cars and
a similar number of vans joined the procession, as well as pedestrians and those
travelling by bicycle, scooter, or motor cycle. On the outskirts of Imber everyone
continued on foot, following a tractor driven by Richard Hooper and carrying Austin
Underwood as a passenger. Underwood’s first act was to pin a large “NOTICE TO QUIT”
notice to a wall, calling on the War Department to vacate Imber. A new sign was hung
outside the Bell Inn, where several people paused to drink a toast in orange juice.
Many of the people on the demonstration were former residents of Imber or others
closely connected with the village. They reminisced sadly as they wandered around
the remains of Imber, and several said they would wish to come back to live in Imber
Speeches were delivered, including one by Sydney Dean, aged 77, who mentioned that
his family had farmed at Imber for over two hundred years, and Fred Daniels who had
worked at Seagram’s farm. At the end of the speeches Austin Underwood called for
the creation of an Association for the Restoration of Imber, a proposal that received
strong support. Then a recording of church bells was played, and a short service
was held, including the hymn “The Church’s One Foundation”
― whose words can be read and tune heard on the NetHymnal website.
The inaugural meeting of the Association for the Restoration of Imber was held at
Devizes Town Hall on 11 February. It was agreed that its aims would be to keep open
all rights of way in the Imber area, to re-establish the farms and agricultural life
of Imber, and to re-establish Imber as a civil and ecclesiastical parish.
Two further rallies were planned. One went ahead on 26 February, but was badly hampered
by heavy rain. Before the next rally could be held Ministry of Defence succeeded
in obtaining a temporary High Court injunction forbidding entry into the Imber Ranges.
Thereafter support for the cause began to wane. The Wiltshire County Council decided
to withdraw its objection to the closing of rights of way around Imber. Another rally
was held on 25 June, when a procession of vehicles followed a route across Salisbury
Plain that did not include the forbidden roads. However, on this occasion there was
much less interest from the media.