A section of the Legendary Dartmoor website on Houndtor deserted village. The finest
account of a deserted village I have seen anywhere on the internet. Includes a plan
of the settlement and plans of each building.
When iron and steel works were opened near the mouth of the River Tees in 1873 the
village of Warrenby was created to provide staff accommodation. During the 1970s
the villagers moved away to more satisfactory housing.
An article by Buckinghamshire County Council on deserted settlements in that county,
with useful onward links to ancient monument reports. Tries a little too hard to
be educational. Avoid the multiple choice quizzes.
Ravenser Odd, an important medieval town in the Humber Estuary, was washed away by
the sea around 1360. Several other smaller settlements on the Holderness coast, including
Owthorne, have suffered the same fate.
Tyneham in Dorset was requisitioned for military training in December 1943. The people
of the village were evacuated and not allowed to return at the end of World War II.
A lot of information and many maps, photographs, and personal reminiscences can be
found on the Tyneham OPC website.
The valley of Dalehead and the village of Stocks in Bowland were evacuated around
1930 in order to create the Stocks reservoir. The Dalehead.org website tells the
story of the evacuation, and has many photos of residents, buildings and landscape
before the valley was flooded.
Marsden village, near South Shields, was created in the 1870s to provide homes for
miners working at the Whitburn Colliery and their families. In 1954 Marsden was placed
on County Durham’s notorious D list. Its people moved to new accommodation and the
buildings were demolished. The mine closed in 1968. The memory of the mine and the
village is preserved by the Marsden Banner Group.
Natasha de Chroustchoff, otherwise known as Ceridwen, has published several photographs
of Maes-y-Mynydd on the Geograph website. Maes-y-Mynydd, near the west coast of Pembrokeshire,
may have been created as a Quaker community. It was abandoned early in the twentieth
century. For one person’s search for Maes-y-Mynydd, and a lot more photographs, go
Orchard Place developed in the nineteenth century as a community close to the East
India Docks in London. It was condemned as a slum district in 1935 and removed. Information
about the area and the community can be found on the British History Online website,
and the memories of Charles Lammin, written in 1935, are reproduced in the Isle of
Dogs Life blog.