Hernecliff Gardens disappeared between 1909 and 1911. First the two houses closest to the sea, numbers 1 and 2, were removed, probably towards the end of 1909. Number 3 followed them in 1910, and then the rest of the terrace was demolished in 1911.
Eddington Gardens, a little further back from the sea than Hernecliff Gardens, survived for another decade or so. 3 and 4 were removed, but one of the others continued to be occupied by a F Sheppard until 1921. In that year Numbers 1 and 2 were acquired by a local builder Edgar Edwards, who re-used the salvaged materials in a new bungalow in the Broadway.
It appears that Hampton Farmhouse was uninhabited for a long time, but in December 1934 it too was demolished.
If you have any more information about the last few residents of Hampton-on-Sea please get in touch, especially if you know what happened to them after they moved away.
The land still remaining at Hampton is now well defended. Several wooden groynes jut out from the shore to break the tidal currents, and a long pile of large rocks protects the western side of Hampton Pier Avenue. A thick concrete wall surmounted by a promenade was constructed by Herne Bay council in 1959, and so far it has survived intact.
The Hampton Oyster Inn, now just the Hampton Inn, still exists on the eastern side of Hampton Pier Avenue not far from the pier. Houses have been built along that side of Hampton Pier Avenue and also along the southern side of Swalecliffe Avenue, but today the only building within the estate laid out by the Land Company is a temporary one storey building occupied by the Herne Bay Table Tennis Club. Three of the four oyster ponds installed by the Herne Bay, Hampton and Reculver Oyster Fishery Company were located outside the present sea defences, but part of the innermost pond became a boating lake in 1929. In the early 1990s the lake was filled in and the area was converted into a children's playground.